As the world becomes more interconnected, access to a reliable cell phone is becoming increasingly important. Different service providers are coming up with affordable phone services and discounted mobile devices. Verizon is one of the providers in the US that has the needs of the seniors in mind– through their 55+ plan.
This plan offers unlimited talk, text, and data at an affordable monthly rate. In addition to the 55+ plan, Verizon also offers free cell phones for seniors who qualify for the Lifeline Assistance program. In this article, we’ll get into the details of free cell phones for seniors Verizon and how you can take advantage, stay connected, and save a few coins.
Features Of Free Cell Phones For Seniors Verizon
With the evolution of technology, some phones have features that make texting, calling, and general phone usage easier. Below are the features that have been integrated into Verizon’s cell phones for seniors.
- Long-Lasting Battery: To avoid bothering the seniors from charging their phones every now and then, free cell phones for seniors Verizon have a pretty outstanding battery life.
- Large Screen: Issues with vision can arise as one gets older. To solve this issue, some Verizon phones come with large screens or magnifiers. A bigger display gives you a similarly large surface area, reducing eye strain and allowing you to navigate through your phone.
- Emergency Contact Feature: Older adults may have some health issues which may need some immediate attention. Some cell phones have SOS messages that allow the user to send an emergency alert to selected contact by pressing the power button four times.
- Voice-Activated Features: In the case where eyesight becomes a real challenge, cell phones for seniors have voice-activated features. Text-to-speech for example is a feature that allows the phone to loudly read out text messages.
Verizon 55+ Plan
Verizon 55+ plan is a senior-specific plan that is available to customers of 55 years and above. The plan can be used with a variety of devices, including smartphones and basic phones. With this plan, you get an affordable monthly plan with text, and talk minutes, as well as discounts on mobile devices.
You also get to enjoy data at 4G LTE speeds and unlimited mobile hotspots at speeds of about 600 Kbps. When it comes to costs, you will pay $40 per line for two lines or $60 per line for one line. This comes in handy if you regularly use your phone and you would not want to pay some hefty amount at the end of the month.
Eligibility Requirements For The Verizon 55+ Plan
- Age– To qualify for the senior plan, you must be 55 years of age or older. To prove your age, you will need to have documents such as a government-issued ID or a birth certificate.
- Account type– The 55+ plan is available for both new and existing customers. New customers refer to ones who have never registered for any of Verizon’s phone services. Existing customers refer to customers who are on another Verizon plan and would love to switch to the 55+ plan.
- The number of lines– The 55+ plan is available for up to two lines. Both lines must be on the same account and must be used by customers who meet the age requirements.
- Address– To enjoy Verizon’s 55+ plan, you need to have a Florida billing address. Accepted billing addresses include a residential address, business address, or post office box.
Comparing Verizon’s 55+ Plan With Other Cell Phone Plans For Seniors
The best plan will depend on your needs and it will be important to compare the available plans to find what best suits you. Below are the popular plans available to individuals 55 years and above.
- T-Mobile Magenta Unlimited 55– T-Mobile’s Magenta Unlimited 55 plan offers unlimited talk, data, and free texting in over 210 countries. This plan comes with a monthly cost of $70 for one line or $50 per line for two lines. Compared to Verizon’s 55+ Plan you will save $20 if you have two lines and $10 for one line.
- AT&T Unlimited 55+ – AT&T’s Unlimited 55+ plan is accompanied by a monthly cost of $60 for one line or $80 per line for two lines.
- Sprint Unlimited 55+ – Sprint’s Unlimited 55+ plan offers unlimited talk, text, and data, as well as discounts on devices. The monthly cost is $50 for one line or $70 per line for two lines.
How To Enroll In Verizon’s 55+ Plan?
You have two options to sign up for Verizon’s 55+ i.e online or via customer service.
i) Via Online
To make an application online you may have to first fill out the pre-screening questions to check your eligibility. On your mobile device, visit Verizon’s 55+ plan page, fill out the required fields then hit Check eligibility.
If you qualify, you will be presented with a Get started button, click it then follow the onscreen prompts to complete your application. These steps are pretty straightforward and you will not get stuck anywhere. Beforehand, you will need to have some documents to prove your identity and address. As proof of identity, you will need a government-issued ID or a passport. For the address, you will need a utility bill, mortgage statement, lease agreement, or any other accepted documentation.
ii) Via Customer Care
This is the most effective method of application since you get to talk to a live agent and seek clarifications or help where necessary. To reach out to customer service agents, dial (800) 922-0204 on your phone.
After a deep discussion of free cell phones for Seniors Verizon, you can now see how Verizon has made the lives of the elderly by having senior-specific plans. Verizon also has wide coverage and you do not need to worry about outages while traveling from one state to the other.
If you are a senior and you qualify for these plans, you take advantage and enjoy discounted cell phone plans. If you also do not qualify, you can go through other plans and you will surely find other affordable plans for you. Of course, you can compare with other providers to find what is suitable for you.