The USA has free government phones and one of the big names when it comes to this service is Assurance Wireless. Founded in 2009, Assurance Wireless has continued to provide subsidized telephone services to several states. This program is available to residents with income of or below 135% of the federal poverty level, this rate may vary from one state to the other. This service may however be a bit limiting such that only one person per household is eligible.
It features a Assurance Wireless free phone and reduced phone services like calls and text messaging. If you recently made an application then you should check your Assurance Wireless application status. Luckily, this can be done in the comfort of your home online or with the help of a customer care agent. To get insights on keeping track of your application status, read this article to the end.
Assurance Wireless Application Status: Preview
Assurance Wireless targets low-income individuals by providing them with affordable phone services. A while back, Assurance Wireless switched between networks but is currently under the T-Mobile family. This happened after mergers and acquisitions between Sprint Corporation and T-Mobile US which was completed in July 2020. Since it uses T-Mobile and Sprint networks you are assured of the best network coverage. You may however experience connection issues if you reside in a very remote area.
How To Apply For Assurance Wireless?
After you have checked and confirmed that you meet all the eligibility requirements, you can proceed and make your application. To ensure that your application goes through, be sure to read all the information on the website. If something is unclear, seek clarification from the support team.
To make an application online:
- Go to the official website, navigate to the Apply section then find the programs that are available at your current residence.
- Click See if you qualify today then hit Apply.
- When prompted, enter the Zip code of your state, and then on the next page, go through the available plans.
- Tap Apply now and on the form that opens up, carefully enter the required details.
- Once done, double-check to ensure that the information you provided is correct then hit Submit now.
When making applications, Assurance will ask you to provide documents to prove both eligibility and identity. The required documents include:
- A copy of your government-issued ID (both the front and back).
- An eligibility letter from any authorized agency.
- Current or last year’s statement of privileges.
- Proof of enrollment in a public assistance program e.g., Medicaid, Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), Supplemental Security Income (SSI), etc.
- An income statement from your latest employer.
- Other documents showing proof of income e.g., copies of tax returns and social security statements.
Checking Assurance Wireless Application Status
To check your application status online, you need to have created an account during the application process.
- Open your web browser then visit the official site for Assurance Wireless.
- Click My account on the top right then choose Check status.
- Input your Assurance Wireless application number and zip code in the respective fields.
- Once on the account dashboard, the status of your application will be displayed.
Via Customer Care
If you choose to opt for customer service, there you will have two options i.e. via phone or mail. Checking Assurance Wireless application status via mail may take longer than any other available means. It will only be advisable to use this means as a last resort.
To reach customer care, you will need to call a toll-free number 1-888-321-5880 and then explain your inquiry. To verify that you are the real owner, the customer representative may ask you for some personal information. It will be necessary to have info such as name, address, date of birth, etc. before making the call.
This is actually the best way to check your application as the customer care agent can advise as needed. You and also make other relevant inquiries related to the application process.
To reach for support via mail, you will have to write a letter to Assurance Wireless physical address i.e. PO Box 5040, Charleston, Illinois 61920-9907. Your letter should clearly indicate your request and any other information you may want to be addressed. To ensure that your mail is delivered to the right department, be sure to double-check the address. You can also include your email or phone number just in case they may need to contact you.
Services Provided By Assurance Wireless
Assurance Wireless provides several cell phone services which include but are not limited to:
- A free phone
- Free monthly data service
- Free to low-cost wireless minutes
- Free to low-cost text messages
Reasons behind the Rejection Of Your Assurance Wireless Application
After checking the Assurance Wireless application status, you may find that your application was rejected. It is not uncommon for your application to be rejected and the reasons may vary. The most common reasons your application could be rejected could include:
- You are not eligible– Assurance Wireless has some requirements and in order for you to qualify, you need to meet them. This includes not being of age or you reside in a state where the program is not offered.
- Discrepancies of information– Your application will be rejected if the information you presented conflicts with the ones submitted when applying.
- Evidence not included– Assurance Wireless requires you to attach eligibility evidence and if you fail to include them in your application, it will be rejected.
- Counterfeit documents– While making your application, confirm that all the documents attached are 100% legitimate. Other information which could be deemed as fake includes a false social security number and inaccurate income information.
If your application is rejected, ensure to go through your application and note down where you might have messed up. Make a correction where necessary then submit the reapplication.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I Upgrade My Assurance Wireless Phone?
Yes, you can upgrade your phone in the event of theft, loss, or other valid reasons. To upgrade your phone, you can submit your request online or contact customer care for assistance.
To upgrade online:
- On your browser, visit Assurance Wireless’s official website.
- Log in to your account using the correct credentials to get to the dashboard.
- Click My Account, select Upgrade then follow all the onscreen instructions to complete the process.
If you choose the customer service way:
- Contact the customer service representative using the toll-free number then provide the details associated with your account for verification.
- Give an explanation of your inquiry then follow all the instructions provided by the agent. The agent might ask you to pay an upgrade fee.
- After the upgrade is approved, you will receive the phone via mail.
How Long Does It Take For The Assurance Wireless Application To Be Approved?
There is no standard time it takes for your application to get approved. Factors like the volume of applications received and the state you currently live in can hasten or delay the whole process. When all the details provided are correct, it can take from 3 to 7 business days. If there are discrepancies, the process can prolong to weeks which may eventually get rejected.
Are All Phones Compatible With The Assurance Wireless Sim Card?
Assurance Wireless SIM cards can only be used on compatible phones and these could be both basic phones and smartphones. Among the compatible phones include popular models like the Google Pixel series, Samsung Galaxy series, and Nokia. You can check for a detailed list of compatible devices from the website or talk to the support agents via phone.
If you meet all the requirements for this program then you should definitely make an application and save a few coins. Assurance Wireless is aware of errors that can be made when making an application and that’s the reason it gives you a second chance. While reapplying, I bet you wouldn’t want to make errors.
After submitting your application, keeping an eye on the Assurance Wireless application status is just a phone call away. It is however important to submit the right documents. Fake documents may not only lead to the rejection of your application. Submitting counterfeit documents could escalate things and can send you behind bars!
In the event of loss or theft of your device you should not panic, Assurance Wireless got your back. All you need to do is ask for an upgrade but this time round, you will need a few bucks to cover the upgrade fees.